Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Praha/Prague/Praga


            I had the time of my life this weekend. I got to see one of my really good friends from McDaniel, Mara, and I also got to go to one of the most beautiful cities in the world, Prague!  My trip didn’t start out all that great though; it was a bit of a journey through hell to get there. 
            First of all, the weather in Barcelona has been amazing. Every day it’s sunny and warm.  I really can’t believe it’s the middle of winter here.  But of course, on the day I leave it’s pouring rain.  I had to get on a bus in order to get to the airport.  Unfortunately the bus apparently doesn’t come all that often and I had to stand out in the pouring rain for about twenty minutes before one came to take me to the airport.  I was positively drenched by the time I got on the bus.  So I finally got to the airport and everything was going fine.  My first flight was taking me to Geneva on Swiss Air.  That was the one good thing about my journey to Prague: Swiss Air is amazing.  My first flight was a little over an hour long but we all still got sandwiches on really good bread with turkey, hard boiled egg, and cheese and then a piece of Swiss chocolate. Delicious!  I fly short flights all the time between Maryland and Wisconsin, but Southwest never offers anything like that!  After I arrived in Geneva was when things really got bad.  I knew I had a twelve-hour layover until my next flight in the morning, but I severely underestimated how long twelve hours really is.  First of all, there is absolutely nothing to do in the Geneva airport past 10 o’clock at night.  I had to go through customs and wait outside security the whole night.  I had loaded some TV shows on my computer so I watched those for a bit but before long my computer started to die so I had to stop that.  I tried my hardest to make myself comfortable on the cold, plastic chairs, but it was an impossible task.  There was a group of Spaniards behind me that were yelling, running around, doing cartwheels and clapping.  I already had a headache and all of this noise was not helping me to fall asleep.  I ended up doing what seemed to make the most sense at the time: curling up on the floor and using my jacket as a pillow.  I probably looked like a homeless person. I was curled around all my stuff because I was terrified of falling asleep and getting everything stolen.  I was also shaking because it was absolutely freezing. I’m pretty sure they didn’t have any sort of heat in the section of the airport I was in.  I didn’t end up falling asleep at all.  I was miserable.  Around 5 in the morning the entire airport opened up and I was able to go through security.  I made it through with no problem, found a little café and bought myself some breakfast, and then sat down to wait the remaining five hours.  My flight was supposed to depart at 10:10 so I checked on it around 9:00 and it was delayed!  My twelve-hour layover turned into a thirteen-hour one!  After all of that, I finally made it on the plane and made it into Prague.  (I did pass out on the plane ride from Geneva to Prague so I got about an hour and a half of sleep). 
            Since I was only going to be in Prague for the weekend I didn’t want to waste any time on catching up with sleep. I wanted to see the city!  I met Mara at our hostel and after I put all of my stuff away, we headed out to find some food!  We found a cute little place and decided to both get entrees and share them.  We got some gnocchi with a basil cream sauce and a more traditional Czech entrée with sauer kraut and these dumpling things with pork inside of them.  It was all absolutely delicious!  We were so full I thought we were going to have to roll ourselves home.  Afterwards we went to a huge shopping center because I needed to buy some shampoo and face wash (I couldn’t take it in my carry-on).  The shopping center was gigantic!  It was really hard getting used to the prices here. $1 = 17CZK.  Doing all the conversions in my head was a lot more difficult than when I have to convert the Euro! 
            So Mara has a friend from Prague that gave us some suggestions for places to go at night.  We decided to check one of them out on Friday night.  It was a little underground bar with a tiny dance floor. It seemed like a really good place to go to meet locals; it wasn’t touristy at all.  It was a pretty cool place and we stayed there for a couple of hours, just talking, catching up after not seeing each other for months.  The one problem with bars in Prague is that they don’t have any kind of smoking restrictions.  People were smoking everywhere, right in our faces.  All of my clothes from the whole trip smell awful because of that. 
            Our first night in the hostel was interesting, to say the least.  When we got back there was a group of four boys in the room we were staying in.  We told them that we wanted to go to bed now because we were trying to get up early in the morning and we would appreciate if they kept it down whenever they got back. At this point it was one in the morning, so it’s not like we were asking them to be quiet at a ridiculously early time.  They said that was fine and then left to go to a bar or something.  They got back at 4:30.  I know this because they came in screaming and yelling.  I was infuriated.  I had gotten an awful night’s sleep the night before and we were supposed to be getting up at 7:30.  All I wanted to do was sleep!  They were obviously extremely drunk. They even started to play music on their laptops!  It seemed to take them forever to quiet down and go to sleep, and even then they snored!  So I was finally able to fall back asleep when I was jolted awake by the sound of someone throwing up mere feet from my bed.  I opened my eyes to get a lovely glimpse of the boy who was sleeping in the bed above mine standing in nothing but tighty-whities puking up everything in his stomach.  Suffice it to say, I was not pleased. 
            Luckily the city of Prague is beautiful enough that I was able to forget all of that and enjoy our Saturday sight-seeing.  We started the day off at a market where they had endless supplies of bags, scarves, jewelry, and anything else you could possibly ask for.  We learned quickly that they are used to bargaining. I got a scarf for myself that was originally 250CZK down to 120CZK.  After the market we decided to go on a free walking tour of the city.  We got to see so much and learn so much about the history of Prague and the Czech Republic.  The Czech Republic or Czechoslovakia is a country we, as Americans, don’t learn much about in school, but it really is a fascinating country.  For example, instead of hanging or shooting the people they wanted to kill, they would throw them out of windows onto spikes sticking out of the ground. It’s called defenestration.  While other countries have also used this technique, it all started in Prague!  We also learned that during World War II, as part of Hitler’s final solution, he was planning on using Prague’s Jewish section as a sort of museum to Judaism after he had succeeded in killing all of them.  As someone who has always been fascinated by World War II and Holocaust history, it was amazing to me to both learn this and to also be standing in the place where this was supposed to happen.
            One unpleasant thing about Prague was the temperature.  I’ve gotten so used to the weather in Barcelona that it was absolutely freezing for me!  It was in the 20s the entire time we were there and it even snowed on Saturday!  I haven’t seen snow since I was in Wisconsin!  In order to combat the cold they sell “hot wine” almost every forty feet it seemed like. I was very intrigued by this and so I decided to get one on Saturday afternoon.  It was served in a little plastic cup (almost like a solo cup) so that I could take it with us as we walked.  It was actually pretty good. It’s wine mixed with a bunch of spices and then heated up, also known as mulled wine in other parts of the world.  It felt good holding the cup as my hands were absolutely frozen!
            After our long day of walking around, we decided to get dinner at a place that our hostel recommended to us.  It was a cute little restaurant with traditional Czech food. Luckily they had English translations on the menu otherwise we would’ve had no clue what we were ordering!  The food was all really good and we had a great time at the restaurant.  We actually ended up staying for over three hours!  When we finally realized what time it was we rushed out in order to get back to the hostel so that we could figure out what we were going to do for the rest of our night.
            We ended up finding a club to go dancing in, which is exactly what we had been looking for.  The clubs in Czech seemed to be a lot smaller than the ones in Barcelona.  I’m not sure why this would be, but the one we ended up at was pretty cool either way!  It was under a hotel and the walls were all stone and it was very cool looking.  We ended up meeting two boys from Switzerland, Raphael and William.  I love meeting people from countries I’ve never been to.  It’s always interesting to learn about their countries and to also get their perspective on America.  Raphael told me that during our last elections there were signs for Obama all over in Switzerland and when he won there were all sorts of celebrations.  He also was under the impression that America has very good food. We definitely do have good food in a lot of places, but I feel like we’re more known for our fast food and growing (no pun intended) obesity problem, so that was a surprise for me to hear.  Although he explained that in Switzerland, if he were to order a steak at a restaurant, it would cost him around $40. So I guess from that perspective, America seems pretty cheap!
            Back at the hostel that night we thankfully got back after the other boys staying in the room so we didn’t have to worry about them waking us up again. And as tempting as it was to make a lot of noise and wake them up, we were respectful and very quiet.  The next day we headed across Prague’s famous Charles Bridge.  It’s a gorgeous bridge with different statues alongside it.  They have different vendors all along it too, so it’s a good place to go and get some cheaper, yet still authentic, souvenirs.  After the bridge we went to a place recommended to me by (see if you can follow this) my best friend from home’s roommate’s sister who studied abroad in Prague.  It’s called the John Lennon Wall and it was created after his death as a celebration of both the Beatles and as a sort of movement for peace in Czechoslovakia.  It was an amazing wall of graffiti that is still growing and changing today. Mara and I even added a little something to it!  Right next to the Lennon Wall was a bridge with a ton of locks on it.  They looked really cool so I took some pictures, but I didn’t understand what we were looking at until I looked it up afterwards.  Apparently you’re supposed to go there with your true love, engrave your initials on a lock, lock it onto the posts, and then throw the key into the river.  I love little traditions like that. They’re so fun! 
            After the Lennon wall we walked around some more and saw the Prague Castle and everything. Unfortunately we had to cut our day a bit short because Mara’s flight was leaving that afternoon. 
            My flight wasn’t until the next morning. Even though I had an absolutely amazing time in Prague and I would do it again in a heartbeat, I can tell you one thing for certain. I hate traveling in countries where I don’t speak a word of their language. It’s incredibly stressful and scary.  I was supposed to take a tram and then get on a bus to the airport. For whatever reason the tram I was on stopped randomly before the stop I was supposed to get off at and everyone got off. The woman driving the tram said something that I guess explained why everyone was getting off, but I couldn’t understand a word. All I could do was follow everyone else!  I had no idea where I was or how to get to the bus I needed to get on or anything. And I was carrying around all of my luggage and I was freezing!  I was beginning to panic thinking that I was never going to make it to the airport and I was going to miss my fight and never back it back to Barcelona and subsequently never make it back home and I’d be stuck in Prague forever. Don’t get me wrong, I loved Prague, but I certainly didn’t want to get stuck there.  Thankfully there was an extremely nice woman at a corner store I went into that spoke limited English and she put down all of her groceries to usher me out of the store and show me where I could get on the right bus.  I am so incredibly grateful to her as I was close to tears.  Thankfully I made it to the airport in plenty of time and was able to make it back to sunny Barcelona perfectly fine after that!
Our hostel was called the Art Hole Hostel and it had all sorts of interesting artwork on the walls!

More artwork in the hostel.

This is part of the market we went to, but it was huge! Everywhere we turned there were more stalls!

Our tour guide from our walking tour of the city. He was very funny!  I also that it was funny that he was Scottish and Mara's studying abroad in Scotland. She came all the way to Prague only to spend time with more Scots!

This is one of Prague's main tourist attractions, the astrological clock.  Apparently after the designer of this clock finished making it, they burned his eyes out with hot pokers so that he would never be able to make a clock like this again for another city.  

Another one of Prague's claims to fame is that Franz Kafka is from here.  He's the author of strange books such as Metamorphosis.  

This is one of the old synagogues in the Jewish section of Prague.

All of the buildings were simply gorgeous. I loved the architecture. 

More beautiful buildings, such as the Prague castle, the biggest castle in the world!

I loved all the gargoyles!

This was my traditional Czech dish. Potato croquettes with chicken stuffed with bleu cheese and ham.

Some of the "love locks" along the bridge.

The John Lennon Wall!

It was filled with Beatles quotes like this.

Me leaning against the wall wearing the scarf I bought at the market on Saturday.

Mara & Autumn 2011 :)


The sky was absolutely beautiful and there were some beautiful views of the whole city.

This is the Charles Bridge from afar. I loved how the light was breaking through the clouds here.
            Stay tuned for details about my adventures in Madrid and Toledo next weekend…

No comments:

Post a Comment